An Elephant Walks
Location: Clink Street tunnel
- Artist: Jason Slabber, with soundscape created by Dr Adam Parkinson, historian Roger Clegg
and period musicians Lucie & Roddy Skeaping.
- Country of origin: South Africa
- Medium/s of choice: CGI & AI (artificial intelligence) driven illustration & animation
- Style: I generally lean to more photo-realistic creations.
- Personal inspiration: VFX movies
- Artistic inspiration: Doug Chiang (concept artist), Feng Zhu (concept artist), David Fincher (film director), Christopher Nolan (film director).
- Frost Fair inspiration: I was fascinated to see how the wealth of paintings, engravings, memorabilia, histories and stories found online, regarding the unique happenings of Bankside’s Frost Fairs, would influence the AI, and how it would collate, curate and interpret this information. By giving the AI prompts I was able to help shape the narrative and visual cues, steering it towards its reimagining of my interpretation of the 1814 Frost Fair. While this was happening another team, consisting of sound designer Dr Adam Parkinson FHEA, historian Dr. Roger Clegg, and musicians specialising in period music Lucie Skeaping and Roddy Skeaping, were creating an accompanying soundscape, derived from extensive research of the sounds that would have been heard in the area in the early 19th century, including a popular folk song called ‘The Jolly Waterman’.
Find out more about the artist